Tuesday 26 March 2013

The Big One - The Auckland Half

Some of our 'fans' might remember a blog a wee while ago about our first ever triathlon back in December. Things might have got a little bit emotional there what with competing in my first ever multi sport race alongside my hubby.

Not ones to rest on our laurels, having enjoyed the endless Kiwi summer (and fitting in a bit of training in between long weekends and the day job) we knew we needed another challenge. Somehow having completed just one triathlon - Matt reckoned this put him in excellent shape for jumping straight up to the half ironman distance. So he entered the Auckland Half with about a month to go. I held back - were we (me) getting a bit big for our boots? Wasn't 70.3 miles (1.2 miles of ocean swimming, 56 miles of hilly riding and a half marathon to top it all off) just a little bit, well, much? 

Having held back for a couple of weeks I obviously caved and entered. I couldn't resist. I'd just been offered a promotion at work, the sun was still shining, I was ocean swimming at lunch a couple of times a week - I was definitely up for it!

Matt's number -
worringly low number of participants...
Race day arrives and I am regretting this whimsical decision big time. What had possessed me to think I was capable of such a feat? Setting up in transition and I have the following incredibly sensible concerns:
  1. The sea is very choppy - I might drown
  2. Where do toilet stops fit into the schedule?
  3. I last ran a half marathon in October and was shattered afterwards - how am I possibly going to be able to polish off 13.1 miles after an epic ride?

Too late to back out of course (by this point I am lubed up in wetsuit, amongst many serious looking tall people). The gun goes and we're off!

Well at least everyone else is - I hang back to avoid the fabled washing machine effect and soon see Matt disappear off with the other serious looking tall people. I am happily amongst the lovely old and nervous people and then soon enough, I'm on my own. Oh dear - somehow I have drifted a bit and proceed to spend the remainder of the swim right at the back zig zagging between the buoys. Yes - I was last out of the water (even behind the lovely old and nervous people) in 1 hour, whilst Matt was long gone after 45 mins of awesome swimming.

Strangely, all of my nerves had disappeared by this point. I had a mission to complete and the first job once on the bike, was getting off it and stopping at the public loo at the end of the beach. 30 seconds lost but it was definitely worth it. From there the ride got better and better as I soon realised that getting out of the water last led to the fun experience of 'taking down' some of the competition as I clocked through the miles on the bike. Truly, the ride was fantastic - the sun was shining, the scenery majestic and my head (and the little voices inside it) under control. My high point was giving Matt the 'go team cope' salute as we passed each other with the turn around point on the out and back course, between us. 

The miles clocked by, and the next thing I knew I was back at Kawakawa Bay having completed the ride in under 4 hours, arriving at transition 45 minutes after Matt. Running shoes on, another toilet stop and I'm off. 

Where my biggest worry had been the do-ability of the run, somehow my legs did me proud. I got into my groove and found I could run (when many others were walking) and enjoy it (at the same time). Adrenaline definitely had something to do with it - but the voices in my head were on my side and willing me to complete the race. The end was in sight for both of us (Matt nearly an hour ahead by this point), my fellow competitors were willing me on, the school kids with the cups of water were doing me very proud and I just kept on going.

So we did it - Matt completing in an amazing 6 hours 15 minutes (finishing halfway up the field for his age group!!) and me in 7 hours 8 minutes.

Me crossing the line (smiling on the inside, I promise!)

What a speedy husband!
Shattered
Still shattered - a glass of wine will definitely help...
...or maybe not
Emotional? Yes and no. Probably the most mentally intense thing I have ever done, and it goes without saying that everything hurt (a LOT) the next day. I guess there wasn't room for emotion at the end of it all - just a thirst for more of the same.

Which takes us to our plans for 1st March 2014 - yes, you've guessed it - we've entered the full Ironman. 11 months to get fighting fit for a massive 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile cycle and 26.2 mile run. Team Cope says Bring It On.

1 comment:

  1. You have turned into monsters. What do they have in the water in Auckland? The thing at the end about the iron man is a joke right? Jamie

    ReplyDelete