Sunday 22 September 2013

Living below the line

Before heading back home for our recent visit I was persuaded by three of my colleagues (Hannah, Rebecca and Jo) to join them in signing up to 'live below the line' for 5 days in late September. Late September seemed a way off, and how hard could it be to survive on NZ$2.25 a day?

Team 'Ladies Who Don't Lunch' -
L-R Rebecca, Jo, me, Hannah
Since returning back to work from the UK the pressure has mounted and tomorrow my five days of poverty commences. We have already attracted some donations as a team to our cause - Oxfam. Now we just have to do it. 

Task 1 out of the way - food shopping. Turned out this was pretty painful - having not had time with a birthday weekend away to shop around I am stuck with monotony and not much in the way of nutrition. The worrying thing is that fruit and veg, whilst not expensive, are also not cheap enough when you're living on just over £1 a day.

Yum
So, wish me luck: the next 5 days ironman training schedule includes two 1 hour swims, three 1 hour runs and two 1 hour bike rides. I will update this post on completion of the challenge (if I'm still alive)... 

A £5 donation or NZ$10 donation (roughly equivalent to my total budget) would be welcomed from any of our regular readers :) 

For my page click here, and for our team page here







1 comment:

  1. Good luck to you! I did this last month and it is TOUGH! I hope you've saved some of your pennies for some emergency custard creams....they were a life saver! Gem xxx

    ReplyDelete