Tuesday 11 December 2012

Swim, Bike, Run

Sport - they're not wrong when they say its all in the mind...
For those of you who know me well, you'll know that I am not the sportiest young lady. I dreaded sports day at primary school, and even though I could swim (thanks to Saturday mornings at Norwich Penguins) I hated the annual swimming gala. Racquet sports were OK but I could never beat my sister at tennis. And running - don't get me started.

Things changed in 2008 when I decided that if I wasn't getting fit aged 23 - it was never going to happen. So Matt happily (I think) dragged me out running, in January, in the cold around Regent's Park. It was a struggle to say the least, but I persevered and entered my first 10km in London in May that year. I didn't love it, but I got around (thanks again to Matt). From thereon I ran on and off, culminating in a half marathon in Kent in 2010. This too wasn't the most enjoyable experience of my life but I got around, and celebrated with training partners Matt, Al and Anna afterwards.

Some others of you who know me well might know that my evenings of the second half of 2011 and the first part of 2012 were mainly spent at My Fitness Boutique in West Hampstead - spinning. A new obsession - it was the first time I had actually really truly enjoyed exercise. I loved being on a bike (even if it was stationary), being surrounded by others, pushing myself to the limit. And getting really super fit. I felt great at our wedding last year and even better walking up to nearly 4000m in the Himalayas in India!

Arriving in New Zealand to a new life, I knew that sport was going to be a part of it. I just didn't realise how much at the time! Once we'd moved into our flat with the pool downstairs, and we'd both bought bikes, suddenly the unthinkable - an actual triathlon - seemed half achievable. So we signed up, and got swimming (a lot) and biking (quite a lot). My running had improved considerably  (by not running that much it seemed) - helped along by an incredibly enjoyable half marathon in October.

So what's this all leading to... Well - the big news (for me at least), is that I am now a triathlete! On Sunday we woke up at 4.30am, loaded up a lot of kit into our van and headed to Mission Bay (our 'local' open water swim training venue) for the People's Triathlon, Race 2.

Packing - just a few bits and bobs
I was terrified. As we racked up our bikes I realised that this was serious stuff. I love my bike - but it didn't quite match up to some of the others there - disc wheels, tri bars, aerodynamic helmets and durace group sets had all come out to play. Along with some very fit looking kiwi blokes, posh wetsuits, triathlon specific elastic laces and special 'nutrition' for the race. Gulp.

6am - very nervously getting set up in the transition area
What they didn't have though was my secret weapon - my hubby! This is going to sound incredibly cheesy, but from the terrified arrival at Mission Bay all the way to crossing the line at the finish - Matt stuck by my side and got me through it. Thanks to him I enjoyed it more than I ever imagined.

Wetsuited up (body glide lotion on underneath for fast removal in transition...) we headed down to the beach at the start. I insisted upon hanging right at the back as I knew from watching these things on the telly that its every man (and woman) for themselves in the water. The horn went off and they all ran in. I tiptoed in with Matt at my side. Stuck my face in the water, blew some bubbles and then got going. The water was still, the sun was shining. And 1500m went pretty quick. We had to come out of the water after each lap and run around a buoy on the beach - after the first lap Matt was waiting, and I was welcomed by cheers of Go Sarah Go from the crowd - an amazing feeling (thanks Matt for setting them up so well!)

Sliding out of my incredibly tight wetsuit and throwing on my bike stuff was surprisingly easy and we were off on the ride. This triathlon allowed drafting, so Matt was my lead out man for almost the entire 40km. I tucked in behind - and loved it! Cycling is definitely a new passion for me (and so much more fun than spinning). We cycled with a couple of mini pelotons (as well as getting lapped by the blokes with the pointy helmets) and had a fantastic time!

Reality soon hit when we came off the bikes and embarked on the 10k run. I had been completely unconcerned about the run - no technique required or outside factors which was what had worried me about the other two legs. But it was hard. I was soon huffing and puffing and my legs were like jelly! I felt as though I was crawling my way through the first lap. And then things started to improve (after a quick toilet stop). The sun was shining, we were overtaking people (thanks again to excellent pacing from Matt) and I was actually doing it!

Loving it! (this photo was taken by the
race photographer and made it onto the race website!)
Crossing the line at the end was ridiculously emotional. I am not one to get teary - but as we ran onto the finishing stage and the announcer said my name I started crying - real tears of joy. What an incredible morning, and an amazing way to round off the best year of my life.

Very happy!
Thank you to the best husband I could hope for - I know you weren't completely selfless in sticking with me (you wanted me to enjoy it enough to carry on with this crazy sport after all) but without you I would never have started running 5 years ago, would never have contemplated entering a triathlon, and would certainly not have completed it in my very proud time of 2 hours and 52 minutes.
Thank you Matt!
A great day (especially the celebratory afternoon of sparkling wine that followed) - bring on the next one!

A well earned drink
A well earned lunch in the sunshine overlooking the
beautiful harbour (with another drink)
Don't know if this one was well earned -
or just a bad idea! Literally glowing from all the excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment