Sunday 23 February 2014

The Final Countdown

For those of you who are avid blog readers (and for those of you who aren't) you've probably got the message loud and clear that Matt and I have spent the last few months training for the big one - Ironman NZ.

I'm writing this on Sunday 23 February - which means it is only 6 nights, and 5 full days until we line up at the shores of Lake Taupo to attempt to do something neither of us thought possible just 2 years ago - swim 3.8km, ride 180km and run 42km. All in one day.

Its difficult to put into words what this challenge means to us both, but I'll try. If I said that for the last 30 weeks we have consistently done 8-9 training sessions a week on top of our busy work schedules, involving getting up before 6am several days a week, spending 6 hours+ in the saddle on Sundays grinding up Auckland's steepest climbs, swimming 140 lengths every time we get in the pool and pounding the same old routes around Auckland's CBD - again and again, and again... You might get a bit of an insight into what training for an Ironman is like.

Sounds horrid right? Well I have to beg to differ. Taking on this challenge in this beautiful country, together with Matt has mainly been a privilege rather than a chore. Getting out of bed before 6 has been tough, but once you're out there watching the sun rise with some awesome tunes pumping away and your feet are feeling the rhythm - life is definitely affirmed. Swimming 140 lengths after a long and hectic day at work has not once been an appetising prospect, but its amazing how an hour and a half spent in the pool can deep clean your mind of everything you've confronted during working hours.

And then those bike rides. I have to admit that there's only been one epic 6 hour+ ride that hasn't involved tears of some kind from me. Its something about cycling more than 100km that tips me over the edge (hands hurt, bum hurts, feet hurts, helmet hurts, and that's forgetting about my legs/lungs and other core bodily functions). But getting to the top of a long grinding hill and having something left in the tank, cruising down a hill and feeling the wind in your face and best of all seeing how proud Matt is that his wife is actually doing this, with him, has made me feel on top of the world. The privilege of it all is the challenge itself - pushing yourself to the limits and coming out on top, packing more into a 7 day week than I ever thought possible and doing it as a team a long way from home.  I know that the last few months of hard work can prepare us for anything the rest of our lives hold in store.

Next Saturday is coming for us, or as Matt says - we're coming for it! I hope I complete it, but there's a chance I won't. Please cheer us on as whilst we won't be able to hear you all - knowing that you're rooting for us might just get me through the swim, across the line on the bike (before the dreaded cut off time) and completing my first marathon at the end.

Two important links before I sign off:
To follow us on the day click here and find the live feed/race tracker (I'm #447 and Matt is #342)
And to sponsor us click here

1 comment:

  1. Hey sis (in law),
    That was beautifully written. We are in awe of what you've done. The Ironman will be the hardest 14-17 (but not longer!) hours of your life but I hope you love every second of it. The real toil has been the last year as your lives as you so eloquently put!
    We have sponsored you 26, one for every mile of your first marathon. Matt can have his 26 when he finishes...which I'm sure he will.
    Our best wishes,
    Chris, Naomi, Caleb and Esme
    x

    ReplyDelete